Fee concessions, scholarships and grants, VET student loans and living allowances can help with study and living costs while you’re training.


If you’re enrolling in subsidised training, your training provider must offer you a concession if you:

  • hold a health care card
  • hold a pensioner concession card
  • hold a Veteran Affairs card, or
  • are a prison inmate, a detainee, on remand, held in a South Australian institution in connection with the commission of an offence, or a child in a South Australian detention centre older than 16 years.

To claim a concession and pay reduced course fees, show your relevant concession card and state your Centrelink customer reference number and the expiry date on your card.

TAFE SA scholarships and grants

TAFE SA offers financial help through scholarships and grants. 

For more information, visit TAFE SA.

VET Student Loans (formerly VET FEE-HELP)

VET Student Loans can help you pay tuition fees for some diploma and above level courses.

How do VET Student Loans work?

The Australian Government pays your loan directly to your training provider. If the loan doesn’t cover the full course fee, you pay the gap. Once your income reaches a certain amount, you start repaying your debt.

For more information about VET Student Loans and a list of approved providers, call the HELP Student Enquiry Infoline on 1800 020 108 or visit VET Student Loans.

VET Student Loan complaints

The VET Student Loans Ombudsman handles student complaints regarding VET Student Loans and VET FEE-HELP.

For more information or make a complaint about VET Student Loans or VET FEE-HELP, call 1300 362 072 or visit the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

If you need assistance with making a complaint, call 1800 006 488 or visit the Office of the Training Advocate.


You may be eligible for an allowance that can financially help you while you’re training. Allowances can support:

  • students, apprentices and trainees
  • Aboriginal apprentices
  • pensioners who are studying
  • families with children who have barriers to attending school
  • low income families.

For more information about allowances and to find out if you're eligible, visit the Department of Human Services.

Share Print