Vocational education and training (VET) can help you start, advance or change your career in just about every industry. You can start VET while you’re still at school and you can dip in and out of training throughout your career.

You can train:

  • at secondary school
  • at community centres
  • through a Registered Training Organisation
  • through an apprenticeship or traineeship
  • online
  • at work.

Training at school

While you are still at school, you can start training for a job through:

  • a VET course delivered by your school, under the supervision of a training provider, which counts towards your SACE
  • a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship
  • the Training Guarantee for SACE Students which allows you start your training at school and continue it when you leave.

For more information, see VET for school students.

Basic skills for learning and work

Adult Community Education courses can help you improve your reading, writing, numeracy and computer skills to prepare for study and work. You can access these courses in accessible community centres across the state.

For more information, see Learning in your community.

Vocational education and training

Finishing school and thinking about your future career? VET courses give you skills and knowledge to help you get the job you want.

For more information, see Why choose VET?

Apprenticeships and traineeships

Apprenticeships and traineeships are one of the best ways to get valuable skills and qualifications while working.

You'll earn a wage while you learn, work in industry and gain a qualification at the same time.

For more information, see Apprentices and trainees.

Pathways to university

VET qualifications can provide a pathway to university. Some qualifications at a certificate IV or higher may help you gain entry or transfer into selected university degrees, even if you did not complete Year 12.

In some university courses, your previous study may also be recognised so you don’t have to repeat some of the things you’ve already learned.

Some Registered Training Organisations also have formal university entry pathways. To find out if your career can lead to a degree, speak to your training provider or university.

For more information, visit Flinders University, University of South Australia or University of Adelaide.

Share Print